Many fountains come with built in lighting, or at least the option to add them before the fountain gets to your home or business. If you happen to purchase a fountain without lighting, you may want to kick it up a notch with some simple, but striking, lighting features. Don’t just limit your plans to adding floating or underwater pond lights to illuminate the water…you can also have fun with adding some scenery lighting to show off your fountain, landscaping, and to set the overall tone. A few basic tips to get you started:
- If you install pond lighting underwater, make sure they are waterproof!
- For underwater lighting, it is also important to wrap some extra power cord around the light to allow the ability to take the light out of the water and repair or replace a bulb, without having to drain the water.
- Underwater lighting is best installed when your water feature is empty or partially full.
- Floating solar lights are great if you want to simply be able to see the pond more visibly at night. These floating lights come in a variety of colors and sizes to meet your tastes.
- Halogen waterfall lights are perfect for using in or out of the water if you want to accent the cascading water in your fountain. These lights can be behind the waterfall or set off to the side, pointing at the feature.
- For lighting that is set outside of the fountain, make sure to point the lights at the fountain versus pointing out into the landscaping, so they highlight your water feature and don’t blind you in the process!
Since there are so many different types and sizes of fountains, there is never going to be one specific way to add lighting in or around your water feature. Let yourself experiment a bit to find what works for you, add in some night blooming plants, have fun, and do your research.