6 Benefits of Indoor Water Fountains
Posted by on
When one thinks about fountains, you likely think of peaceful, majestic outdoor fountains in a garden or courtyard.
Indoor fountains offer the same benefits as their outdoor counterparts and more. There are many kinds, shapes, sizes and styles of indoor home water features . Whether you’re looking for an indoor fountain for your home or corporate office, here are six benefits of indoor water fountains you can look forward to enjoying:
- Relaxing Ambience. The calming sound of water trickling in an indoor fountain can create a relaxing ambience for any room. Whether it’s in a sitting room in your home or in a waiting room of a dental office, indoor water features can help people unwind, relax and feel comfortable. The relaxing ambience also encourages people to stick around and return.
- Aesthetic, Beautiful Appeal. The styling, shape and materials used in indoor fountains today have greatly improved and are more varied. Today’s indoor fountains can complement and enhance a variety of décor and interior styling. Whether you’re looking for something modern, classical or even custom, you can now get the perfect looking fountain for your space.
- Improves Air Quality. When the water evaporates from your indoor water features, negative ions are released. These negative ions cleanse the air, making it more refreshing to breathe. The clean air also helps you think more clearly and focus better.
- Doubles as a Humidifier. Wall mounted and free standing fountains add to the moisture of the room, making it more humid. This is great to have when one is congested due to a cold or illness. An increase in humidity is also good for your indoor plants, making them healthy and vibrant-looking.
- Improves Quality of Life. The peaceful, gentle trickling of a home water feature is a great de-stressor. It promotes relaxation, thoughtfulness, peace, comfort and sleep. More sleep and less stress make one naturally more energetic, happy and optimistic, leading to a heightened quality of life and better health.
- Low Maintenance. Home water fountains are easy to maintain, requiring a water refill every week or two and a deep, thorough cleaning every 4-6 months. The cleaning simply involves turning off the fountain, draining the water, wiping down the outside surface of the fountain and the inside tubing, motor and plumbing of the fountain.
Contact Water Gallery today so you too can experience these great benefits of indoor water fountains.
Types of Indoor Fountains
There are three main types of indoor fountains: wall mounted, free standing and tabletop:
- Wall Mounted. These indoor water features are mounted to the wall and are often rectangular in shape, hanging either vertically or horizontally. They each have a small, discreet reservoir on the bottom where the pump is that then recirculates the water. These indoor wall fountains come in various sizes and with a one or three panels. Wall mounted fountains are made of a variety of materials including fiberglass, glass, resin, stone, slate, copper and stainless steel.
- Free Standing. Free standing fountains are larger versions of the wall mounted indoor fountains. They have a heavy, sturdy water reservoir base that allows them to freely stand upright. Like the wall mounted fountains, free standing indoor fountains come in a variety of materials and designs and optional add-ons such as LED lighting.
- Tabletop. These tabletop indoor fountains are the smallest and lightest of the indoor fountain types as they are made to sit atop a counter, desk or table. There is a greater diversity in shape for these fountains than for wall mounted and free standing fountains. These fountains, however, aren’t able to be customized with a logo.
At Water Gallery, we have many styles of wall mounted fountains, floor fountains and tabletop fountains available from the industry’s best brands. Contact us today to learn more about our indoor fountains and allow us to help you decide which type of indoor water feature is right for your space.
Indoor Water Features and Feng Shui
Feng Shui is a form of ancient Chinese pseudoscience which connects an individual with the energy of his or her surroundings through the strategic placement of furniture and home appliances. The three basic concepts of Feng Shui include: Chi (energy), natural elements (air, space, wood, water, metal, earth and fire) and Bagua (the center of energy in a space where the perfect harmonious balance is).
Fountains are popular elements of a Feng Shui designed space as water is a positive energy that connects man to the peaceful and harmonious energy of the cosmos.
Indoor fountains are commonly used to promote peace, tranquility and well-being. According to Feng Shui, to fully harness this energy in a room, the fountain should be hung or placed in either the East or Northeast part of a room. In these locations, an indoor fountain can promote better health through relaxation or provide a quiet, contemplative place for meditation or spiritual practices.
Unique Custom Indoor Fountain Features
Home water fountains enhance the look of a room while also creating a relaxing, tranquil atmosphere. If you’re looking for custom water fountains & water features for your space, here are some types of indoor water fountains worth looking into:
- Fire Fountains. Fire fountains feature the extra eye-catching pizazz of fire and water. These fountains have flames that come up in front of the trickling water, giving the allusion that fire is coming from the water. Of course, the water and fire never touch each other.
- Glass Fountains. Glass fountains have transparent glass panels on which the water trickles down. From a distance, it looks like the water is falling in air from an unknown source. When one is close up, however, the glass panels are visible.
- Art Fountains. An art fountain is a great way to express your own unique personality, style and character. The indoor water features have hand-made artistic panels for an enhanced visual appeal. These fountains range in size and the different colors and style of the featured artwork is diverse, allowing you to find the perfect, one-of-a-kind fountain for your space.
Frequently Asked Questions About Indoor Water Fountains
- How do I hang the wall fountain? For larger, heavier fountains weighing more than 25 pounds, you’ll first need to find a wall stud, specifically a 2x4 in the wall frame, on which to hang the fountain. You will need to use brackets to hold your heavier fountain onto the wall. For lighter fountains weighing less than 25 pounds, a heavy-duty picture hanging set will work. Some things to keep in mind when determining where to hang your indoor fountain, include the space, size, and the proximity of the closest electrical outlet. It wouldn’t be a good idea to hang a protruding wall fountain along a narrow hallway for instance. Wall fountains have an electric motor to circulate the water so it is recommended that you hang your fountain either over the outlet or as close as possible to the outlet to maximize the aesthetic look of the fountain.
- What do I need to make the fountain work? Indoor fountains like outdoor fountains utilize pumps to recirculate the water. For your indoor fountain, you’ll need access to a wall outlet to get your fountain up and running. After you hang the fountain on the wall, use distilled water to fill the reservoir up to the recommended level.
- What type of electrical outlet does my fountain require? Unlike an outdoor fountain that needs to be hooked up to a generator, indoor wall fountains don’t require a special electrical outlet. All you need is a regular, operational wall outlet to power the motorized pump of your indoor water fountain.
- Do I need a special type of plumbing? Indoor water fountains have a built-in motor and internal tubing, which is all self-contained so no special type of plumbing is necessary.
- What maintenance does my indoor fountain require? Indoor fountains require less maintenance than outdoor fountains that are exposed to the elements and can get clogged with debris. Indoor fountains, however, do require regular maintenance and cleaning to run their best. It is recommended that the reservoir be refilled once every 1-2 weeks depending on the climate, whether it is generally more humid or dry. Too little water is hard on the motor and too much water can cause splashing and make the fountain motor noisier. Every 4-5 months it is recommended that the fountain gets turned off, drained and wiped down with vinegar to prevent algae growth and water salt build-up. Bleach isn’t recommended as it can be harsh on the fountain surface and if the fountain is a floor fountain and is accessible to pets and children, the bleach can be dangerous to their health. Removing and cleaning the pump is also recommended to keep it running more efficiently and making it last longer.
If you’re interested in reaping the benefits of an indoor water fountain in your home or business, check out the wide selection of fountains at Water Gallery. We have a wide variety of home water features and professional indoor water fountains from some of the top brands with a number of different sizes, styles and price points of fountains. Contact us today to learn more our fountains and current inventory.